Thursday, April 22, 2010
How to reduce your carbon footprint
1) When your light bulbs go kaput, install a compact fluorescent bulb (CFL). It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to save energy - and money.
2) Unplug things that glow. Your TV, cell phone charger, and printer are likely culprits. Unplug from wall sockets and plug them into power strips instead. When you leave a room, flip the strip switch to cut the flow of electricity.
3) Recycle your electronics (TV's, cellphones, radios, computers, printers, etc.)
4) Support local farmers. Buy organic produce!
5) Do a full load of laundry(preferably in cold water, and after that let it air dry if possible) and make sure the dishwasher is completely full before washing
6) Give up plastic (and paper) bags. Get reusable bags! They even have ones with cute patterns ;)
7) Stop buying bottled water
8) Replace meat and dairy products in your diet with healthful, eco-friendly foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, whole grains and nuts - even if it's just a few days a week!
9) Walk/bike when you can
10) "Buy what you need, not what you want"
11) Take short showers instead of baths (oops, I'm guilty of this!)
12) Close water taps when brushing your teeth
13) Choose natural, non-toxic cleaning products
14) Buy used items from garage sales and second-hand stores
15) RECYCLE of course!