Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010


Good morning! I thought I'd start off with some statistics.

92% of teen girls would like to change something about the way they look, with body weight ranking the highest.

75% of teenage girls felt 'depressed, guilty and shameful' after spending just three minutes leafing through a fashion magazine.

70% of girls ages 15 to 17 avoid normal daily activities such as attending school, going to the doctor, or even giving their opinion "due to feeling badly about one’s looks."

61% of all women and 69 % of girls (15 to 17) feel that their mother has had a positive influence on their feelings about themselves and their beauty.

Nearly 1/4 would consider undergoing plastic surgery.

Only 2% of women describe themselves as “beautiful”

Not only do women agree that happiness is the primary element making a woman beautiful, but they strongly agree that they themselves feel most beautiful when they are happy and fulfilled in their lives (86%). Women want younger generations of girls and women to inherit this broader concept of beauty, with 82% strongly agreeing that, “If I had a daughter, I would want her to feel beautiful, even if she was not physically attractive.”

While only 19% of teenage girls are "overweight," 67% think they "need to lose weight" (UK Teen Body Image Survey, January 2004)

90% of eating disorders are found in girls

5% and 4%, respectively, said they would rather lose a limb or be blind than be overweight.

- It truly makes me sad that all this is going on. It's all so horrible. Instead of waking up, looking in the mirror and saying you hate something about yourself..try saying something positive. Positive thoughts created a positive perspective. I promise it helps! My Nan told me to say something nice about myself before bed, and something nice about myself when I looked in the mirror each morning. It sounds silly, but it really does make a difference :)

No comments: